Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Still Life: Bed

This is a still life poem (on behalf of Jack's exercise): Bed by Donald Illich Accident and Injuries Workers Compensation Lesionad En Un Accidente? Carol Popular Music Winner of the Colorado Galvin Iran's Double Agent Larry Snow Flying Monkey Saloon 227 Duvall Second Story Books Thank You The REG 08-05-2006 22:49 Severity Elizabeth Bishop Edgar Allan Edson How Long She'll Last In This Kooser Visit us at www.msn.com Parallel Legitimate Dangers Sarabande Poems John Ashberry Daedalus Selected Play 9780226 "520575" 19 2006 Stephen Amy Bloom "If Dave Sedaris could Burt Dorothy Allison "Brave and forthright Fun Wesleyan University Press Poet's Global Alliance: Britain, Calif. Unite Home Interview: Christian Martin On Alison Porter&Shure Automobile Accident Houghton Sierra Trail Mix Fruit and Nut Bechdel Doctor EXP SS The Washington Post Mifflin selected poems by cott cairns Broken Snack Pack Del Monte Choice by Pencil Se Habla Espanol 301-884-9000 Magazine Child, child, love while you can Robert Macmillan Publishing Co., Inc. of Though love be heaven or be Pinsky 866 Third Avenue, New York, N.Y. Independent The Self-Dismembered Man Arts Edited and Annotated by Alice $5.95 Official Partners of the Washington Redskins Issue 29

3 Comments:

Blogger Don said...

Jakck,
The poem is basically a word picture of all the text that was on my bed. It was originally called "What's on My Bed," but of course "Bed" is a better title. I tried to sort of cut and paste different words together, make the poem into a cubist portrait and hope that some interesting combinations came together. It was written kind of quickly, as I wrote down language I saw as I leaned over different books on my mattress.
How could it be revised? I think some of the lines result in better juxtapositions -- for example, the ones about "Robert" and "Pinsky" which also have lines from Sara Teasdale. I think they're funny, but they also say something about the poetry establishment. I think it's good to have lines that are complete clunkers, like the one that ends "the," but most should have some kind of frission. Not jokey or like a pun, but an interesting association or sound, that sounds like typical poetry or parodies it. What could keep a reader going in a poem like that are clues that reveal a standpoint on the languag. I think I could do more to make this a commentary on the commericalism of language -- what's the difference between poetry and commerce? Does an ad work like a poem and vice versa? If I took that into account in my revision, it might work.
I don't want too much order, though, because then the unexpectedness might be steamrolled out. Some of it has to remain inexplicable, I think.

5:10 PM  
Blogger Don said...

I apologize for screwing up your name and the grammar lapses. I was typing quickly and just wanted to posted.

5:11 PM  
Blogger Don said...

When I'm a reader of this kind of poem, or any poem, I'm trying to figure out how to enjoy it. I need a "way in" to it. So, does "Bed" provide that? I like how you imagined it, a dream landscape of titles and words I saw in my room from my bed. But is this work any more than a curiosity? Do you think about it later and come up with more revelations, deeper meanings? I suppose that's a test of a work.
I like thinking about the mix of the book receipt with the book titles. Commerce, consuming, literature, all sort of the same thing. I like the Sara Teasdale stuff. I think some lines fall flat because they're just boring titles/words. But is having that ugliness part of the text reality I'm trying to show? I could be over-thinking this. Does this poem compare to flarf and other Internet developed poems?

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home