Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Joe Wenderoth Essays

What I've been reading: The Holy Spirit of Life by Joe Wenderoth. He reminds me of a more controlled Harmony Korine, who wrote a book of outrageous and bizarre pieces a few years ago and directed "Gummo," a film I like about the underbelly of Ohio suburban life. In Wenderoth's book for example, he has a prose poem about Jesus having an orgy with the disciples, which was taken then rejected for publication by a literary journal (doing an issue on irreverence). I bet I could do these hipster kind of essays, bizarre takes on pop culture phenomena. But so far, all I seem to be able to do is write poetry. And anyway, do we need more of this stuff, even if it's done well, like Wenderoth's book? Maybe that's part of our problem -- too many hipster intellectuals talking about pop culture instead of issues that "matter," although we're all pretty much doomed, so I guess it doesn't matter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home