Monday, August 07, 2006

Wallace Stevens "Sunday Morning"

I was reading "Sunday Morning" last night and beyond the difficulty of just trying to figure it out, I asked myself whether or not I liked the sweeping, majestic tone. I'm not likely to make the same kind of pronouncements about Jove, paradise, earth, etc. that he does. Is it a lack of ambition? Is it a distrust of general, universal statements? I don't know. "Death is the mother of beauty; hence from her, / Alone, shall come fulfillment to our dreams / And our desires." Death makes everything impermanent, and if everything was permanent, could we see beauty or have desire? What an amazing idea and language from Stevens, but could I say something so bold and direct about death in my work? I work around the edges, try to imply or point to things, but I usually don't go out and just say it. Is that what postmodern poetry about? Here's a link to Stevens' "Sunday Morning": http://www.web-books.com/Classics/Poetry/Anthology/Stevens_W/Sunday.htm

2 Comments:

Blogger J Martin said...

Ok, man. So that's your assignment:

Write two poems. Each should contain at least one sweeping statement.

You should do it just to see how it changes your poetry, maybe even your process. You might get something good.

8:55 PM  
Blogger Don said...

That's a great assigment. Thank you, Jack. It could change my work, but I'm a little afraid of going out on this limb. Well, it's not the first time I've done that.

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home